Friday, March 8, 2013

A Real Drag

Would Bobby Knight cut down the nets after a loss?

I mentioned in a recent post that I'd spent a little time at a drag show at some gay club here in the Gate City. The place was near Wendover & 29. It might have been called Sperm House 69. I'm not sure on that though. I could be a little off there. How, you might be wondering did I end up at a drag show? Well, I've been invited over the years to attend one of these things by the Operator of the now closed Wing Joint on Battleground. She used to manage gay bars back in the 80's and has many friends in the drag queen community. So, after a number of years of missing out on these drag shows, I finally showed up at one last Saturday night. I'm guessing a vast majority of the occasional readers of this blog have never experienced the world of late Saturday night drag shows. Let me fill you in on what you've been missing. The first thing I noticed was the dearth of women at a drag show. It was at least 90% dudes. So, if you're single and looking for tail, I wouldn't suggest looking for a babe at a drag show. In fact, as near as I could tell, there were exactly 3 straight guys in the bar - me, the bartender, and the bouncer. The other 150 dudes in there did not appear to get down with the ladies. The 2nd thing I took away from the experience was the actual drag show aspect of a drag show. Here's how it worked - there were 5 or 6 drag queens (past winners of a big drag queen competition in the state of North Carolina) who come out all made up in these gowns and lip sync to songs by Donna Summer or Lady Gaga or artists similar to Donna Summer and Gaga. The drag queens dance around while slip syncing. As the drag queens lip sync and dance a bit the patrons of the gay club line up in front of the stage with dollars bills in their hands to give the drag queens. This happened with every drag queen who performed. I'm not sure how much dough these "ladies" made, but I was impressed with the largesse of the gay dudes in the audience. The drag queens tended to be statue-esque with tons of make up. You could tell they put a lot of time and money into their drag queen endeavors. I was sitting at a table close to the stage. I never really interacted with any of the drag queens or the gay fellas at the place (except the gay fellas I was sitting with - all nice enough guys I've known for quite a while). The last thing I'll note about my experience at the gay club was after the drag show was over. The Operator of the old Wing Joint invited me to dance with her. Now, I never dance. But I made an exception in this case. The Wing Joint Operator & I walked out on the dance floor and did dance for a few minutes. She seemed to be having a good time. As we were dancing to some disco anthem I glanced around at all the gay patrons dancing and having the times of their lives. A few of them were making out. It sure wasn't my milieu, but it was okay. Anyway, I can now say that I have been to a drag show and a gay club. I killed 2 birds with one stone. It was certainly memorable.

I mentioned my buddy Goose in a recent post and his impending baldness. Well, I heard from Goose Monday. Turns out it was his birthday (26th birthday I believe) & Goose wanted to celebrate a little. So, I obliged the kid. It was his birthday after all. I met up with Goose and a few of his friends at some joint on Lawndale called The Backdoor (it really is called The Backdoor by the way, I'm not making that up). As you can imagine, shots flowed. After about an hour Goose was wasted - hammered off his ass. That's when things got interesting. That's usually when things get interesting. What happened in this case is that Goose got some bad news right in the middle of his little birthday bash. A gal he'd been seeing moved to San Diego about 6 weeks ago. Goose was pretty bummed about this development at the time. Well, this girl who upped and moved to Southern California on Goose a mere 6 weeks ago chose Monday night, Goose's birthday, to text and inform Goose that she had gotten engaged. I've heard of bitchy moves by girls over the years. Many, many bitchy moves. But this has to be up there in the pantheon of bitchy moves. To inform a kid on his birthday that you're engaged after leaving him a little over a month ago is downright cruel. Needless to say, Goose did not take the news too well. He went out on the patio of The Backdoor and threw a few things. He managed to calm down a bit and came back inside. He had another shot or 2. Then I told him not to sweat it too much. Any girl who would pull a stunt like that is one he's lucky to be rid of. Goose saw my point of view, had one more drink, and took off with his designated driver. All in all, a very weird birthday. It reminds me of something that could happen to Geilfuss. And that's never a good thing. Believe me.

Conference tourneys are heating up in college hoops right now, as many of the mid-majors are holding their tournaments this weekend. Of particular interest is the Missouri Valley Tournament in St Louis. It looks like Creighton and Wichita St are on a collision course for a 3rd meeting (although Northern Iowa may have something to say about that). I like the way the Blue Jays are balling recently.

Speaking of college hoops, I'd be slightly remiss if I didn't mention TOSU's huge win in Bloomington the other night. The Buckeyes were 7&1/2 point dogs and won outright by 9. It was their best game of the year. By far. The Buckeye D smothered the Hoosiers in the 2nd half, completely shutting down Oladipo. Shannon Scott was all over the place on the defensive end of the floor. The strangest thing about the whole affair was that after the game Indiana celebrated. They cut down the nets. Seriously, Tom Crean had his team cut down the nets after getting smoked at home on Senior Night. Only in Indiana would they celebrate after getting their asses kicked. You gotta love the hicks from Hoosierland. Next thing you know they'll bring Kelvin Sampson back and start cheating again...  


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

crean cut the nets down because it's a senior night tradition, not because he wanted to celebrate

Anonymous said...

where are you TBFH? it's tournament time

Anonymous said...

A chick at Sloppys says because this was your last thread and haven't posted for over a month it means you came out of the closet as gay.

Anonymous said...

a co-worker who knows you from your job that you occasionally show up for, agrees with the chick at Sloppy's. Can it be true TBFH? Do you hug nuts?