Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Searching For Discount Dan


I mentioned last week that the Wing Joint on Battleground had closed its doors for good. Immediately someone put up a page on the Faceshit lamenting the news. I've looked at the page a few times over the last week. Lots of disappointed folks started debating which bar they should start hanging out in to play the somewhat tedious NTN Trivia game. Others were worried where to go to hang out drinking with their fellow barflies. Then the Faceshit page degenerated into old photos taken at Wing Joint of various people in some state of inebriation standing near other folks in a similar state of inebriation (shockingly enough, I appeared in  a photo or 2 taken over the years and posted to this Faceshit page). No matter how hard these folks try and stick together and socialize at some other bar, they will drift apart as the weeks and months go by. From my point of view, the closing of the Wing Joint will mean that I won't know where the hell to go at about 10 or 10:30 on a given night. Perhaps I'll just head to bed and eschew a nightcap or 2. I have no idea. I find the whole situation very vexing.

I stopped in some place on W Market last Thursday night called Winnie Cooper's Ale House. My buddy Dave, the Glenn Beck acolyte, was sitting at the bar. It was right around 8:15 at the time. Dave had been in the place since about 3. He was feeling it a bit when I sidled up to the bar. To Dave's left was an Irish lass whose name I don't remember. I was impressed with this gal, as she was hoisting back Jameson at a quick rate. Talk between the 3 of us turned to the sordid world of trim presentation for a bit. Then Dave started talking about a shadowy figure who has been seen around the bars in the Gate City for the last 6 months or so. A kid Dave has labeled Discount Dan. I have yet to run into this Discount Dan character myself. Dave swears Discount Dan is endlessly entertaining. I have my doubts about that, but Dave's opinion carries a lot of weight in my mind. So, I'll take Dave at his word about this Discount Dan dude. Evidently, Discount Dan sneaks into bars, orders a beer and a shot, says something that cracks people up, then disappears as quickly as he came in. He's also been known to piss off the regulars at Sloppys as well, as folks in that dive have told me tales of his shenanigans. I look forward to running across Discount Dan sometime. It should be an interesting conversation if it ever happens.

I saw where Lance Armstrong was named the most hated athlete in America according to Forbes magazine. And that's gotta be sweet music to Tiger Woods' ears. Woods finished 3rd in the voting. Somehow, Manti Te'o came in 2nd ahead of Woods. I'm not sure why anyone would hate Te'o. He's just a dumb rube. I guess in the minds of the American public, it's worse to be tricked into carrying out a "relationship" with a woman who never existed than it is to relentlessly cheat on Jesper Parnevik's nanny while she's home watching your kids...






No comments: