Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hanks


One of those silly bar debates broke out last week at The Wing Joint on Battleground. This particular debate centered around who was the greatest athlete ever. A few names were thrown out, names like Jim Thorpe, Carl Lewis, Bo Jackson, etc. Then Greensboro's favorite bartender & Tea Party admirer, Dave, weighed in on this silly bar topic. Dave's suggestion was: "Hank Williams." I couldn't resist a follow up to Dave's amazing suggestion. I said, "You mean the country singer who died in 1953? That is the best athlete ever?" Dave said, "Dammit! Now this is gonna be on your stupid blog. I meant Hank Gathers." I said, "You meant Hank Gathers? The poor kid who died on the basketball court back in 1990? I don't know if that's a whole lot better choice than Hank Williams. You might just want to go ahead and name all the Hanks - Azaria, Aaron, Tom..." Dave said, "Fuck you. Shut up. Who would you suggest, wise-ass?" I said, "Well, as you know, philosophers have long debated this question and I'm no philosopher, but I think the greatest athlete I'm aware of is Jenna Jameson." Nobody at The Wing Joint could dispute that. Nor did they.


Someone informed me that the owner of the NY Yankees died today. And I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I thought the guy had died years ago. The last thing I remember about this owner of the NY Yankees was when he was banned from the game for paying a lowlife to dig up dirt on Dave Winfield back about 20 years ago.


I heard from Andy about picks for the Open Championship. And we were super close on the US Open (as we had Dustin Johnson & Ernie Els...) last month and agonizingly close last year at the Open Championship (Lee Westwood...). Anyway, I saw where the weather might be really brutal over in Scotland this weekend. So, these picks are thrown out with the caveat that I don't control the weather in the British Isles (maybe Albert Arnold Gore does...): McIlroy, Ishikawa, Cabrera, Poulter, D Johnson, and Els. We'll see.


I was out with Dave, Greensboro's favorite bartender, last evening and we did venture back, ever so briefly, to the IUD (the joint on Lawndale I blogged about maybe 6 weeks back or so). And there was yet another butt-ugly repulsive broad behind the bar. Anyway, I don't know where the owner finds these women who tend bar there (maybe from episodes of Addiction???), but I've seen 2 of them now & they were both so nasty and reeking of yeast infections, that I don't know who would want a drink that either of them had handled in their scary clutches.


Big bouncing babies, bread & butter can I have a slice


Thataway --->








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so you're able to diagnose yeast infections through clothing? wow! i thought you had to get a little closer to the source that that.