Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Best Broadcaster Alive

I saw where there was some ridiculous manufactured controversy about Common visiting the White House as a guest of Mr and Mrs Barack Hussein Obama. A controversy manufactured specifically by the Roger Ailes Network. I don't have a clue why anyone would possibly care about this. Barry and his old lady can invite anyone they please over for a night of poetry slamming or orgy fun or whatever. The place is their home, at least temporarily. As many of you know, I am a long time hip hop fan. Now, Common is not my cup of tea, but whatever. I doubt Common is Barry's cup of tea either. Barry strikes me as more of a Hammer or Kriss Kross kind of guy - you know, the innocuous silly rap. I personally would love to see Barry and his old ball and chain invite Luda over and listen closely as he performed Get Back. Or maybe if ODB wasn't dead, he could stop in and perform Protect Ya Neck. Hell, anyone from Wu Tang would be a breath of fresh air. The Roger Ailes Network is really grasping at straws on this one. Pitiful...


I was standing outside at the place I occasionally show up to work yesterday when a colleague asked me this: "Why are you working here?" And the kid makes a good point. I've been asked that a number of times the past 19 months, both in the Gate City and the Bull City. I didn't have a great answer to his question. I never have to be honest. But I told him this, "Well, this is the only thing I'm good at. Plus, it passes the time." Both points are all too sadly true...


The same colleague informed me that Thor was awesome. I have no way of confirming this opinion. And I never will. Even though Thor features that girl from Jerusalem, I'll never see the damn thing. Comic book movies are silly.


I was back at Lenders Tavern last night (yes, to use the gift certificate I won from trivia last week). It was fine. The bartender, a brother named Donald, got both the Reds and O's games on for me (by the way, my Reds are on fire right now - as for the O's, not so on fire...). Anyway, I struck up a conversation with a sister who had just come form her bowling league. She was cool - & pounding Jager shots... At one point I did ask this sister how many of the league's teams consisted of black folks. She said her team was the only one. I wasn't too surprised by that. I don't bowl. And I won't bowl. But I know enough to know that black bowlers are rare. Everyone remembers how bad our friend and fake leader Barry was when he tried to bowl back in the campaign (he compared himself to a retard). Anyway, this bowling sister enlightened me on one important issue when it comes to black girls and bowling. And here's what she enlightened me on: they are indeed shaved raw.


I heard on the radio that Mike Tirico, of ESPN hype-machine infamy, won an award last night as broadcaster of the year. Now, I'm not sure who voted to give Tirico this "honor." And nothing in particular against Tirico - he's bad, yes. But not appreciably worse than anyone else. In fact, I'd argue that as bad as Tirico is, he's in the top 40% of broadcasters. And from me, that's almost a compliment. It just seems so pointless so give the award to Tirico when we have broadcasting giants out there more deserving. You know, the guys who cover professional wrestling. Or a random weather skank. Or that stutterer from the Howard Stern Show. Or the strange men who host That Metal Show on VH1 Classic. Of course, if I was giving out broadcaster of the year, the same person would win every year. That person is the blonde sideline reporter for Big 10 Network football games. Yes, my girl Charissa Thompson. Although, come to think of it, Alex Flanagan of NBC is right there. Right there.


Orange Crush
































































No comments: