Monday, May 2, 2011

Pork Chops & Strippers




Huge news from overseas this past weekend - and no, not from some town near Islamabad, Pakistan (I'll get to that next). This news comes from Emirates Stadium in North London. Arsenal 1, Man U 0. It's been a long time coming for Gunners' fans. Too long, really. Robin Van Persie was key for Arsenal. Unfortunately, the Gunners find themselves 6 points behind Man U with only 3 games remaining - and Chelsea 3 points closer to 1st. They won't win the Premiership yet again. Too many points thrown away at home. The good news is that next season starts in 3 & 1/2 months.








US Armed Forces finally got to Osama Bin Laden and killed him. When I heard the news just before 11 last night, I thought, "Okay, good." Then I flipped the channel back to some awful show on sex disorders on Discovery Health & Fitness. That was the extent of my glee over the news. Then this morning I saw all these wild celebrations that went down after the news broke. I'm not sure what there is to really celebrate. Killing Bin Laden does not undo 9/11. It does not undo over 9 years of war in Afghanistan. It does not necessarily make the US any safer from future attacks. It does make some people feel better though. That's something, I guess. I am getting a kick out of pundits giving our failed leader, one Barack Hussein Obama, praise for Bin Laden's demise. I guess that's par for the course. But, it should be noted that Barry is the guy who decided to spend much of the last 27 months running around the world apologizing to states that sponsor terrorism and seemingly apologizing for the terrorists themselves in some cases. Both of which he has every right to do. He was duly elected to his current job after all. However, given Barry's oft repeated position on all this, it is really odd to see folks giving him political points for Bin Laden's death. Also of note is, if you recall, old W was ripped mercilessly for his "Dead Or Alive" rhetoric concerning Bin Laden. And now that we've "smoked em' out" or whatever you want to label it, and Bin Laden is a goner through US military might, these same naysayers seem to be revelling in the "Dead" part of the "Dead Or Alive" talk from back in the day. Proving, yet again, that liberal hypocrisy knows no end.








News of Bin Laden's death brings to mind, at least for me, one Mohamed Atta. I don't believe I've ever mentioned Atta on this blog. But I've sure spent a lot of time thinking about him over the years. And rambling endlessly about him when half-loaded. It's Atta, not Bin Laden, who I've always considered the US's worst enemy in its history. I won't bore anyone today with my vast knowledge of Atta trivia. But one tidbit that everyone should find fascinating is that the kid loved pork chops. And strippers. Pork chops & strippers - it's a good team trivia name, come to think of it...








Speaking of terrorists and trivia names, one time I used the name Mohamed Atta at a trivia game in the town Elaine Benes is from. No one batted an eye at that. In fact, the host of the game seemed utterly clueless as to who Atta was. Which is interesting in light of the fact that the same host got upset with me, and thus refused to read aloud another team name I came up with on a different night. That team name was Very Pronounced Vulva. It's a strange world indeed when Very Pronounced Vulva causes issues and Mahomed Atta does not. I guess it says something about the general ignorance of the hosts for Final Score Trivia...








There was a huge spike in hits to this blog over the weekend. I have no idea what caused it. I would guess maybe the silly comments I made about that wedding in London had something to do with it. The only problem with that theory is that I never used either the bride's name or the groom's name in the post. I'm at a complete loss...








I got a few comments after the last post about the NFL Entry Draft. Some comparisons were made between Jimmy Smith and Pacman Jones. And those comparisons may or may not be warranted. Time will tell. But I do want to remind folks that as far as Pacman Jones is concerned, in the last half of the 2006 season, Pacman was the most electrifying player in the league. Between the punt returns, interceptions & fumble recoveries, Pacman scored at least 5 huge touchdowns for the Titans that season. That will be hard for Smith or anyone else to match. Then again, Smith will have a hard time duplicating the Pacman's rap sheet as well...No one can make it rain like Pacman Jones.








On an NBA Playoff note, if anyone doubted my accuracy in labelling LeBron James as the new Scottie Pippen back last summer, I hope they've been watching the Heat play this post-season. Dwyane Wade is the man.








I've been noticing that something called Fast Five has stormed into theaters. I was surprised to learn that the film had nothing to do with the chronic masturbating habits of a 14 year-old kid...








Sitting Still








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pac man
TBFH - yes electrifying and thoroughly capable, but the point was that his history of "off-the-field-issues" followed him from college and he was drafted in a slot where he could lobby for a guaranteed contract. Teams are taking character into consideration even though it may only be because it's a PR nightmare to have to defend paying guys like Plaxico Burress and Pac Man Jones. Jimmy Smith has first round talent and last round judgement. I hope that changes for his sake.