Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Fear In The Children's Eyes




There is a bit of weather hitting the old NC coast here today. I believe the culprit is some hurricane named Irene. Blah, blah, blah. Anyway, one of the triad's talking head TV anchors has been covering Hurricane Irene live from Morehead City (More Head...). His name is Cameron Kent. He's one of these typical innocuous middle-aged news readers that can be found all over the place. You know the type - all ex-jock, phony smile, smarmy fake concern, and Stone Phillips hair - that type. Well, our man Cam came on the air at 11 this morning, standing in a hotel parking lot, with the beach in the background. And he reported that while many of the adults in Morehead City are pretty calm about this Hurricane Irene deal, the kids are a little nervous. In fact, Cam went so far as to claim that as he was visiting some shelter set up at a nearby high school last night, he felt the children were fearful. This is what he said about the youth of Morehead City: "I saw fear in the children's eyes." I burst out laughing. Obviously. He saw fear in their eyes. What a tool...








Geilfuss sent me an email this past week describing some random hook-up he had earlier this summer with a 43 year-old Iowan. Evidently this Iowa chick was in the old Charm City on business and dropped into whatever joint Geilfuss is currently slaving away at as a server to grab a bite to eat and decided to go ahead and fuck her waiter as well. And since Geilfuss is Geilfuss, he went ahead and obliged her. After I read the paragraph describing this event, I was disappointed in the lack of details Geilfuss went into about the encounter. Not that I was looking for anything risque in particular. Just something I could run with on this silly blog. So, I sent Geilfuss a reply email stating my disappointment. And he did get back with me on one slightly interesting detail. Geilfuss claimed that the 43 year-old Iowa skank was into the old dirty talk. He described her language, and I'm quoting exactly here, as "sordid." No examples were offered. And to be honest, I'm not too interested in examples of what Geilfuss considers "sordid" speech from a 43 year-old Iowa mother of 2. But I have a few guesses. She probably said things like, "Geilfuss, you're sexier than Tom Arnold." Or "That's a big ear of corn you've got there." Or "Do me like we're in a barn filled with goat shit." Or "I'm so horny for you that I want to bake you an apple pie." Those types of "sordid" phrases.








Talk at the place I occasionally show up to work turned to evolution at one point last week. I could care less about the whole phony debate between evolution and creationism personally. It's silly. Well, this one strange woman who routinely wears those awful Croc shoe things to work had an opinion on this eternal debate that I'd never heard before. Evidently this gal is somewhat religious, as she was attempting to reconcile the fact that the Earth is like several billion years old with the fact that the Bible people believe it's like 6,000 years old. A conundrum if there ever was one. This Croc wearing woman's rationale (and I use that word loosely) was that while she acknowledged the scientific proof of the Earth being several billion years old, she claimed that God kept trying different things until finally getting it right with Adam, Eve, that pesky snake, and all the crap that has followed. Now, I was nice. I didn't burst out laughing in her face. Instead, I ran out of the room and laughed in the hallway. When I came back into the room I did have one question for this strange woman about her claim that God had been failing for billions of years and finally hit on the perfect world 6,000 years ago. I asked her, "Is this the best he could do? I mean, have you seen Jersey Shore?"








The old blog looks a little different right now. I added a couple things that Google makes available. I'm not sure that I'll keep the new stuff though. For one thing it lists the posts that have been the most read. And I was a little depressed to see that many of my most read posts are ones I'd forgotten that I'd ever written...








That's it for me today. I'm gonna brave the hurricane conditions here in the Gate City. That and look for the fear in the children's eyes.





















No comments: