Friday, September 21, 2012

Carolina Panther Fans Go Home Unhappy

Last night was one of the stranger nights in Greensboro in recent memory. The Carolina Panthers were playing the NY Giants. The game was not available locally on Time Warner Cable, as Time Warner is the only major cable company that has not come to a deal with the NFL to carry the NFL Network. So, all the Panther fans in Greensboro who don't have DirecTV or Dish Network were forced to head to a sports bar to watch the Cats get humiliated by the G Men. Everywhere was jam packed. I stopped into Sloppys at 8:30, expecting to see the usual 8 to 10 barflies sitting around getting drunk, running their mouths about nothing, passing the time in their pitiful lives. Instead, there were probably 50 people there. Some brother outside told me there was a 2 hour wait at the infamous Kicken Chicken. I left Sloppys and went to the old Wing Joint on Battleground. No parking was available. I had to park two lots over by a BP station. I finally walked into the bar midway through the 1st quarter. The Panthers were already down 10 to nil. It got worse from there. By midway through the 3rd quarter Carolina fans started filing out. By the end of the game there were less than 10 folks left in the bar. Poor Panther fans. They get all excited for once, go out and support local bars, and then their team gets embarrassed on national TV. I hope the NFL never schedules the Panthers for another Thursday night game. I like it a lot better when I can stroll into any sports bar right at kickoff on a Thursday night, easily find a seat, and monitor my bet.

Speaking of bets, I whiffed on the Panthers myself. I figured Cam Newton would really be pumped for his 1st prime time game. I was wrong. Newton was awful. The only good news was that I had a bet on the Mormons too. They were playing on the Smurf Turf in Boise. And they lost by a single point, which in the dark and shady world of gambling is the same as winning 100 to 0.

Speaking of the Panther fans I saw out and about, most of them are clueless as to what's going on during a pro football game. A kid to my right at the bar last night kept saying something about illegal possession. After  awhile I got the feeling he was talking about the Giants' players holding some meth in their jocks. A big gal with an enormous ass was at the end of the bar wearing an ill fitting Delhomme jersey and she kept wondering why the Panthers couldn't stop Andre Brown from running all over the Panther defense. It was a fair question I guess. But eventually I informed her that the reason Carolina couldn't stop Brown was because they suck. I also told her that if Ron Rivera would put Jake Delhomme in the game the Panthers would make a rousing comeback. Alas, she agreed with me, even though Delhomme hasn't played in Charlotte since 2009...

Speaking of Delhomme, did you know that in 2010 Delhomme was being paid almost 13 million dollars by Carolina to play QB for the Cleveland Browns? He was also being paid 7 millions dollars to play quarterback for the Browns by the Browns. That means Jake Delhomme made 20 million dollars in 2010. He threw 2 TD passes and tossed 7 picks during 5 games. That's 10 million dollars a touchdown pass. Not bad work if you can get it. We should get his agent to run for president. That guy is a genius.

Speaking of geniuses, Geilfuss & I survived week 2 of Survivor. We tempted fate yet again with the Cincinnati Bengals. They've knocked us out each of the last 2 years. This time they came through like champions, beating Cleveland by 7. It was a particularly good pick in light of the fact that half the guys in the Survivor pool had the Patsies. And New England lost to the Arizona Cardinals. At home. It could not have gone better for us. This week we're rolling with Drew Brees at home. Who dat???

Last week I gave some silly college football write ups on this silly blog. I don't really feel like doing it right now. But I will tell you that I really do honestly like the UCLA Bruins tomorrow afternoon against the Beavers. Any time you get a Bruin with a chance to munch on a Beaver, take the damn bear. Everyone knows that bears will eat the hell out of some beaver. It's a scientific fact. I saw it on a nature show once.

Speaking of nature shows, I never really did watch one. I was stretching the truth there. I hate nature. As I've said over and over on this blog, I prefer the cool regulated air indoors. Nature is stupid.








No comments: