Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Publisher Of YES Weekly! Says No To The Editor Of YES! Weekly

NO!!!

A couple of very interesting bits of news came out of the Gate City yesterday. Both of which I've written about on this blog over the years. The 1st item involves the Greensboro Mayoral race. You may remember 2 years ago, when that Nixonian figure himself, Robbie Perkins was running for mayor, I thought there was something terribly off about the guy and was very leery of him. And the stories that surfaced the past couple years about Perkins show that maybe I wasn't nearly leery enough of the ex-Dukie. He's been a disaster as a mayor. Not to mention a disaster as a husband, a father, and a businessman. I certainly don't have much interest in kicking Perkins now that he's down. And it turns out I don't need to kick him at all. The voters did with prejudice. After one term in office, Perkins was routed in his re-election bid last night. He was crushed by almost 20 points. What a humiliating defeat for Perkins. Goodbye, Robbie.

The 2nd bit of news involves the editor, or should I say now ex-editor, of the YES! Weekly, a kid who once took the time to write a long rant on this blog's comments section attacking me after I made some silly remarks about YES! Weekly almost 4 years ago. To this day, I don't know why this editor cared so much about a little mindless criticism dished out by some random blogger like me. His name is Brian Clarey. I saw the news of his firing this morning when I was looking into the Greensboro election results. I stumbled on it completely by accident. Anyway, it turns out the publisher of YES! Weekly may have been as unimpressed with Clarey's skills as an editor as I was several years ago. Clarey, after 9 years reigning over his little fiefdom of a local weekly, got canned. As I read a little further into the tale of his firing, I kinda started to feel bad for the kid. I really did. Turns out, Clarey is married with some number of kids. And seeing as he's not particularly adept as an editor (remember, he just got axed...), I worry for the family's well being. It sucks when someone like this Clarey cat gets his comeuppance and you can't enjoy it. Maybe Clarey can catch on at some other publication in Greensboro. But that's not likely, as the News & Record is within a few years of completely going under itself, & The Rhino, which recently resurrected itself after a brief hiatus, would never hire him due to their political leanings. Maybe Clarey can pick up some work bartending here or there. He claims to have a great deal of experience in that arena. They might be hiring at that catering place I did some work for as a bartender from time to time. Anyway, I kind of wish him well. Hell, maybe Perkins & Clarey can partner up and open a bed & breakfast in Siler City. Or a tattoo joint in Walnut Cove. Or a meth business in Asheboro. Or a massage parlor in Climax. Those all seem like reasonable suggestions...





No comments: