Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Boner Grows In DC


I just got through watching the ESPN special on the 1986 Masters. I should have known it would have the unmistakable ESPN hype-machine taint to it. They decided to include comments from The Tiger and Rick Reilly in the thing. The Tiger's comments were silly and self-serving. Useless. And Reilly is an unwatchable pompous bore - as always. Only ESPN could ruin a special about the greatest moment in golf history. No one should be too surprised though. It's what they do.


As far as this year's tournament, I will be watching closely this weekend. Cross your fingers...if you believe in that kind of stuff.


Speaking of the Masters, I heard a caller yesterday on some sports radio show compare Rory Mcilroy to Roy McAvoy of Tin Cup infamy. I almost crashed the car laughing at the idiocy of the caller. He was really under the impression that Tin Cup was a documentary. What's even more amazing is that the hosts of the program took the caller seriously. Sports talk radio - it's the worst.


Speaking of Kevin Costner movies, I was speaking to someone recently who swore up and down that Dragonfly was a great movie. Again, I almost died of laughter. Dragonfly is terrible. Awful. Pure crap.


Well, it looks like my dream of a government shutdown didn't quite come true. It's a damn shame too. You can hardly blame John Boner though. He got a Mormon and an alleged Muslim to blink. It's pretty telling that Barry bent over backwards to acquiesce to Boner. I don't pretend to know all the details of this deal, but if it makes Barry look bad with his lefty pals and the Tea Party loons hate it, then it's probably a good deal. Kudos to Boner. He's doing way better than I thought he might. Now if Boner could get Paul Ryan's ideas into law, then we'd be really getting somewhere. Don't hold your breath...


I heard an interesting comment the other day at the place I occasionally show up to work. I was sitting in a training type session, bored out of my mind, when a woman thanked me for clarifying some issue for her. I said, "Oh, you're welcome. No problem." What I wanted to say was, "What sarcastic comment that I casually threw out could you have possibly mistaken for solid work advice?" I have no idea. Maybe the one where I went off on a 2 minute tangential non sequitur about Forrest Gump's merits as a shrimp mogul??? Or the one where I kept saying "could be" over and over??? Or when I insisted that the coffee was laced with Ajax??? And I was slowly being poisoned to death as a result??? Baffling.


I'll get up a real post here at some point. Easter is coming and I do like bunnies, so...






No comments: