Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Undercover? Yes. Boss? No.


Another Masters is in the books. And if media hype is any indication, you'd be under the impression that The Tiger won the tournament. For the record, The Tiger finished 4 strokes back in a tie for 4th. He tied for 4th last year as well. I'm not sure how you can define that as appreciable progress. But no one is talking about Charl Schwartzel. You know, the kid who won the thing. Very odd. But typical.


I was flipping by the 11 o'clock news on Saturday night and during their sports segment WXII here in Greensboro had a graphic with the Augusta leaderboard. On the graphic, there was someone named Charles Schwartzler listed at 8 under through the 3rd round. I laughed.


While I'm thinking about it, I got a chance to see Get Low the other day. This film came out in 2009 and flew way under the radar. Which is a damn shame. It is really good. Robert Duval plays a guy in 1938 Tennessee who throws his own funeral (for reasons I won't give away). It is by far Duval's best acting. He is riveting. Bill Murray pops up in the thing as well. Whoever was supposed to market Get Low back when it was released really dropped the ball. Everyone should see it. It's that good.


Brandon left a note via the Faceshit that one of the kids he and his Dad have hired to help them out with their landscaping business called out from work yesterday. I can only figure the kid is a huge fan of The Tiger and was so distraught at Sunday's last 10 holes for The Tiger that he couldn't possibly face the world Monday morning. That or he was super upset that my favorite Frenchmen, one Clint Bowyer, lost yet another NASCAR race. Or maybe the kid had gone on a bender and didn't feel like spreading pine needles hungover. All are distinct possibilities.


Yet another interesting and surreal conversation at the place I occasionally show up to work happened a few hours ago. I was standing in the break room (as usual - I am almost never at my actual work area...) and some woman I don't know very well asked me if I was working there taping an episode of Undercover Boss. I don't think she was completely joking. I said, "Not that I'm aware of, no." I started to think about it a bit and decided that an episode of Undercover Boss featuring me would be entertaining in a way. The only problem with the premise is that I'm not the boss. That and the fact that CBS viewers would have no idea what the hell I was talking about. None. The only part of the show that would be believable is the undercover part. I'm deep, deep, deep undercover around there. No question about that.


Speaking of the place I occasionally show up to work, there is a Lebanese kid working over there who goes by the name Handini. He has a website where you can watch videos of the kid performing famous tunes by making noises with his hands. It's hysterical. Hysterically awful. Here's the address - http://www.handini.com/ - you won't be disappointed. My personal favorite song he performs is the 1812 Overture. I have to warn you that you might die of laughter from checking out Handini's site. He has coffee mugs and T Shirts for sale. There's also a blog on there. I wouldn't read a word of it though. Trust me...


I've been seeing constant ads for a new Scream movie recently. And I think - Really?


Blah, blah, blah...


No comments: