Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chalk Dirty To Me


Am I the only person who refers to Albacore Tuna as Albert Gore Tuna???


The big hoops tourney has mercifully come to a close. Believe it or not, I endured the whole excruciating game the other night between UConn & Butler. Folks are saying the game set basketball back about 60 years. And it was ugly. But I give both teams a pass. Neither of them have many skilled shooters (Walker & Lamb being slight exceptions). So the putrid nature of the shooting should not come as too much of a surprise. If anything, I gained even more appreciation for the Bulldogs. To do what they have the past 2 years on little more than guts and heart (with the exception of Hayward last year) is really something.


The other reason I wasn't too surprised at what went down Monday night is based on what we witnessed Saturday. Brandon & I were at Wing Joint for the Final 4 and about 5 minutes into the VCU/Butler game I commented to Brandon that there was something really odd about the rims. The ball was careening off them really weird. I compared the rims there in Reliant Stadium to amusement park rims. The ball was spinning out of the hole consistently. No shooters bounces at all. It was difficult to watch. But it did lead to an easy bet on the Under for both the late game Saturday between UConn & UK and again Monday evening. Laughably easy bets.


Now we wait a week and a half and get NBA playoffs. I for one am really looking forward to it.


I've heard that our phony, pathetic leaders in Washington are threatening to shut down the government if some budget impasse is not resolved this week. I'm a little hesitant to get my hopes up about a shutdown actually happening. But even one day of no federal government is a dream come true. Let's hope a shutdown continues for months and months. That would be awesome.


I haven't posted here lately. I ran into a regular reader of this blog at the place I occasionally show up to work the other day and he was wondering if I just wanted to stick it to Duke, as the last post celebrated their early exit from the hoops tourney. And the answer to that is no. It's more of a coincidence than anything else. I've been busy with other things. I'll try and do better moving forward.


I did watch Inception last week. Or tried to anyway. After about 40 minutes I had to stop it. I was half in the bag and couldn't follow it at all. I'm gonna make another run at it again soon. I just remember the girl from Juno popping up. And Leo was in there as well. That's all I got out of it.


I got a comment recently on this blog about the resemblance between yours truly and the star of Meet Bill. I haven't seen the film. But I know it stars Aaron Eckhart (2 Face from that Dark Knight deal). There is some similarity between the 2 of us. It was only the 2nd or 3rd time someone had noted the resemblance. Mostly, as I've noted before, I get compared to Dennis Quaid. It's happened hundreds of times. Literally. Other times Richard Gere and Patrick Swayze have been thrown out. And recently someone said I resemble Edward Burns. I'm not sure how accurate any of these comparisons are. But it's something worth thinking about. I guess it makes for interesting idle bar chatter among drunk women. I have no idea...


Gotta run

No comments: