Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Another Long NBA Season Begins

Better than any Spielberg film...

Another wacky NBA season broke out last night, as the Lakers torched the heavily favored Clippers by 13. Of note is that the Lakers got 76 points from their bench full of has-beens & journeymen. Canada's own Steve Nash had all of 3 points for the Lakers. And most interesting to this viewer was watching Blake Griffin go 3 for 10 from the charity stripe. Terrible...

My favorite moment of opening night was watching Mo Harkless, the kid out of St John's, nail a 3 with 11 seconds remaining to rally the Orlando Magic to an impressive 10 point loss in Indianapolis. Why was that so impressive, you may wonder? Well, if you had the Magic +12&1/2, and I did, it was huge...

In the least interesting match-up from Tuesday's action, the Miami Heat routed the Chicago Bulls. I was good with that though, as I had the Heat -4&1/2. A nice and boring blowout...

Many, many games in the NBA this evening. The one I'm most interested in will take place in the capital of the decaying and almost bankrupt state of California. Yes, Sacramento, where the Kings are hosting the Denver Nuggets. The reason it's so huge is because just a scant few months ago the Kings were on the verge of relocating to Seattle. Then out of nowhere some dude named Kivek Ranadive, a native of Mumbai of all places, swooped in and bought the team and kept them is Sacramento. And that's a shame for fans of the old Sonics. But a win for Kings' fans nonetheless. Anyway, I feel like a huge party like atmosphere will permeate Sleep Train Arena tonight (that really is the new name, they used to call it ARCO...) and the Kings should ride that to a solid win over the Nuggets, who have a new coach, roster depletions, and injury issues. Take the Kings -3.

I found myself in the old Horseshoe last Saturday evening for the 1st time in 5 years, as TOSU was battling with the outstanding student athletes from good old Horseplay U. Can you say mismatch? It was over by halftime. TOSU was up 42-7. I decided to stick around at half and I'm glad I did. I'm not the biggest fan of marching bands you'll ever meet, but TOSU's marching band is a little different than your average marching band. They did this tribute to movies or something during the show. Anyway, at one point they marched across the field like a T Rex. It was quite impressive. I'm sure that shit is all over YouTube. If you haven't seen it, check it out.


I didn't stick around much after halftime because the game was over and it was chilly as hell. I sometimes here folks bitch about people who leave football games early. The argument is that they're not real fans or something silly along those lines. I can't speak for anyone else, but I will say that, while I'm not a fan in any sense of the word, I paid $200 for a pair of seats off some seedy scalper on Lane Avenue an hour before kick-off & if I wanna get up and leave at any point during the game, then that's my prerogative. If folks are offended by that, I would urge them to pay $250 for the same pair of seats to the same seedy scalper and then sit there and freeze their asses off for 4 hours watching a 63-14 ass-kicking.

This is just silly...I'm stopping now.







No comments: