Friday, September 11, 2009

Go See Whiteout (for a few minutes anyway)


I was out at lunch with some folks who I'm working with here in San Antonio and good old Fran was there (I have mentioned her at least once on this blog). Anyway, Fran is notorious for complaining about every aspect of a restaurant experience. So, I figured today would be no different and just kind of waited. Well, she ordered chicken quesadilla and sure enough after she had been dealing with eating the stuff for awhile, she said "Look at this, it's mostly cheese - there's only 2 tiny bits of chicken." I said "Whew! I was getting worried you weren't gonna complain about the food today." Later I was mentioning to the table how compassionate I am (I don't recall what the sarcastic context was that I said it) and Fran spoke right up and said "Yeah right, and I've got a bridge to sell you." At least she doesn't mask her contempt for me. She's up front with her contempt.




The guy who writes movie reviews in Chicago was also at this lunch and he started talking about a new movie called Whiteout. After asking him if it was about the Klan, the guy who writes movie reviews in Chicago informed me that the movie starts with Kate Beckinsale in the shower. He said it's all downhill from there. But, he did admit that it would probably be worth the price of admission to see the scene with Kate Beckinsale in the shower. At least it's at the beginning of the movie evidently. You can watch that part and get up and leave and honestly say you got your money's worth. I checked Rotten Tomatoes about Whiteout a little bit ago and out of 54 reviews, only 1 was fresh - so it must really suck.




Steelers really let me down last night. It was a very surreal game for the 1st half. Weird. Bironas was way off and Pittsburgh looked lethargic, except for that freak with the hair and then he left the game with an injury. We still could have gotten a cover if Ward had not fumbled there with a little over 1/2 a minute left. My biggest issue was with the Steelers O-Line - they were terrible. They gained 1.6 yards a rush. What's funny is I was texting back and forth with Brandon (a buddy of mine in Greensboro) about the college game because he wanted to bet it. And I told him to take Clemson. The reason is this: the whole day money was pouring in on G Tech, as the line had risen all the way to 6 &1/2 by kickoff, and here's the rule - when the betting public is heavily favoring one side, bet the other team. By heavily favoring, I mean 80% or more of the action is going one way. Vegas was thrilled last night, as both dogs (Titans and Tigers) covered. Clemson was down 3 touchdowns and came back and lost by just 3. So, Brandon hit that bet by simply going against the public sentiment. It's a good strategy to employ.


I saw where some congressman yelled at Barack Hussein Obama the other night. I guess old Barry was giving yet another tired speech about his plans for socializing the health care in this once great country. I can't believe anyone wants to hear it anymore. He's been babbling for months about this garbage and people don't want it - I'm not sure what more there is to say. Anyway, this guy yelled "You Lie" at some point in old Barry's speech. And my first thought was, he only yelled it once? Wasn't the entire speech full of the same moronic and insulting lies the dude has been shovelling forever? Then, when I heard that some folks consider this guy a traitor for expressing his outrage, I thought back to all the horrible insults hurled at old W during his speeches by the Democrat party and don't recall any outrage about it. It seems yet another case of liberal hypocrisy. As for how appropriate it was for the dude to scream to old Barry during his speech, well, it's not my thing, I mean I wouldn't have been there in the first place, why would anyone waste a perfectly nice Wednesday evening to listen to Barack Hussein Obama? If you wanna get pissed at the guy who yelled (I have no idea what the guy's name is), it should be for wasting his time and energy by listening to old Barry.


I was out at some joint called Stone Works last night here in San Antonio watching the football action (they have a huge outdoor patio part and a 10 or 12 foot projection screen out there) and this hostess was stumbling around in what I gathered was a drunken stupor. Which was fine with me, whatever. But at one point she sat down at the table with me and asked if I ever watched something called Gossip Girl. And I have heard of the show because Mary has mentioned it. But I have yet to see it. So I told this girl that I was a huge fan. And she said "Don't you think I look like Blake Lively?" And I had no idea if this chick looked like whoever Blake Lively is, but I said "Damn. I was thinking that before you came over here." This drunk hostess said "Really you do? Because my ex-boyfriend doesn't think so. He laughed at me over this." So I said "Look, you obviously are a dead ringer for Blake Lively and your ex-boyfriend is a jerk." She appreciated me saying that to her. She really showed her appreciation. Who knew that listening to Mary talk about Gossip Girl could prove to be such a worthwhile thing? Thanks Mary!


You, you were talking about the end of the world.
TOSU
Peace - TBFH


No comments: