Monday, April 19, 2010

A Dukie Pleads For Peace


The local paper here in Greensboro is a disgrace called the News & Record. It never was much of a paper, at least since 1997, when I moved here initially. The Sports section has always been horribly provincial, as when you read the thing it's almost like there is no college hoops being played outside the state of North Carolina, the only pro football teams in this country are the Panthers and Washington, the NBA exists on another planet, and NASCAR is the most popular "sport" in the universe. And don't forget the awful columnist, I think his name is Hard-on. Anyway, it used to be that the News & Record at least put out some news in the paper. I hadn't picked one up in awhile. Then last Sunday I was standing in line at the Food Slug (40's, potted meat, and string cheese) and went ahead and bought a copy sitting on the counter by the check out lane. And when I "read" it later, there was no "there" there. The sections were like 4 or 6 pages. And over half of the content was either huge photographs or ads. The Sports section actually had a tire ad on the front page. The Opinion section was devoid of opinion pieces. The Life section had little about life (or death, or purgatory). It was pitiful. I know circulation has been dropping for almost all newspapers across the country. And that's the News & Record's excuse for not having much news in the newspaper. They've had massive staff cuts and advertising revenue has tanked. And I don't think anyone under the age of 70 reads it on a regular basis at this point. I don't really have any suggestions for the higher ups to increase readership. It seems like a lost cause. They should go ahead and shut it down already. They'll have to in the next 10-20 years anyway. At least if they do it now, the Publisher won't bleed any more dough. What's also funny about the News & Record is the guy who runs the Opinion section, a dude named Allen's Johnson I think. This bleeding heart always struck me as little more than your standard silly liberal. And as I noted, I haven't been a regular reader of the Sunday paper in years and years. And Allen's Johnson writes a weekly column for the Sunday edition. Anyway, in that issue I picked up a week ago, Allen's Johnson was commenting on how bad the newspaper business is, but that, by golly, they're gonna keep plugging along and turn the terrible circulation around! Just like they would in a Hollywood musical with Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland. It's like Nero fiddling as Rome is burning. Get a clue Allen's Johnson. And have your resume ready when the paper goes under. I actually know a place where you can sign on for some easy money, a place where mindless liberals flock, a place where you can wear chicken grease stained sweat pants, a place where fatties stroll freely in their natural state. Just please don't use me as a reference. The place I'm describing would be perfect for you. That place or as a cook at Golden Corral. I think they even provide hair nets at that trough. Good riddance News & Record. You suck.


Speaking of local publications (and no, I still have not picked up a copy of the YES! Weekly), I was reading the Rhino here recently. And in it one of the columnists was pleading for some kind of truce between Duke and Carolina fans. Now, as you all know, I'm not a fan of either. What I found interesting about the piece is the guy who wrote it is a Dukie through and through (I believe his name is Scotty Roast). And the Dukies are so thin skinned, even after a 4th National Title in 19 years, that instead of enjoying the victory, they beg for peace with Carolina fans. It was a very telling piece -at least for me. I think what Roast's plea means, at least to this observer, is that in the state of North Carolina, Dukies will never feel at home. They will never feel the love from the unwashed masses that Old Roy gets and Dean E Smith got before him. And they know that. And the only place that Dukies might find that peace, that feeling of belonging, is in parts of New Jersey, Long Island, and other nuoveau riche NYC suburbs (Collin Finnerty's old stomping grounds). But Dukies from N Carolina don't want to move up to Yankee territory. So they're stuck here, desperately hoping against all sensibility that they might find some common ground, some communal peace, with Carolina fans. It's all pie in the sky do-gooderism silliness. Scotty Roast and his fellow Dukies are, and will continue to be, outcasts. Outcasts in their home state. It's pretty funny. At least to me.


Huge night yesterday with the hoops, as Dallas buried the Spurs, and covered the 4&1/2 with ease (don't let the final 6 point margin fool you). The thing about the game is that San Antonio played the best I think they can. The shot a high percentage. Ginobli was on fire. Tim Duncan was very good. They even tried bringing Mr Eva Longoria off the bench. And they still were down 12 with about a minute or so left. It's looking like last year all over again. We'll see. None of the other games were super compelling over the weekend. Of course, watching the Heat go stone cold for 18 minutes Saturday night was sickening. Sickening.


I am getting hungry. I need food. Blue Elf, your life force is getting low...


I say he who laughs first, didn't get the joke


I am out - TBFH








No comments: