Thursday, April 1, 2010

Geilfuss, Ross, & A Yellow Beetle = Love???


I stumbled into Scam's Lakeside last night just after 8, and a trivia game broke out shortly thereafter. This dude came by the bar where I was passing the time, watching the Golden Arches High School All-Star Scrimmage (always a horrible display of hoops, no defense and terrible shot selection - much like watching the Golden State Warriors this season...), and asked if I wanted to play. So, I went ahead and did. It was pitiful, to say the least. There were about 25 folks in the bar, all attempting to play this trivia game. I'm not sure exactly how many teams were formed from the 25 folks, I pay no attention to that kind of stuff. Anyway, the format for the game was 4 rounds of 10 questions - 1 theme per round. The 1st round was sitcoms - utterly stupid. There were 3 drunk kids (2 guys and a girl) sitting to my right and they were awful -they didn't even get a question about The Office right. The 2nd round concerned 90s music, and I did miss one of those, as I did not remember the EXACT date that Tupac was killed. My favorite question of the 2nd round was this: What rapper died of The AIDS in the 90s? I liked that - THE AIDS. I asked the kid running the game if he wanted the guy's real name or merely his rap name. I could give both. The 3rd round was all baseball. And some of them were pretty tough, I don't think any other team got more than 7 right (I somehow managed to correctly guess that the World Series had ended in a sweep 20 times). The last round was mostly hodgepodge silliness, and I did miss one of those (a grammar question - pretty embarrassing). When the guy announced that the winner got 38 out of 40 right and pointed out that I was sitting at the bar by myself, the typical groans were heard around the bar, the same groans I've heard over and over after I beat a room full of people, playing with no help whatsoever. There was some laughter when my team name was announced - The John Denver Flight School, one of my old standbys. A few folks did come up and congratulate me. One Roman nosed girl asked, "How did you do that?" I said, "Just lucky I guess." I didn't feel any sort of satisfaction in winning the thing though. I'm too something about trivia at this point, jaded?, utterly unimpressed with myself? I'm not sure. When the manager came over and gave me the "prize" (a $25 gift card), I wasn't quite sure what to do. For a moment I forgot where I was, turned and assumed Andy was standing nearby, and was gonna hand the gift card to the kid as always (that kind of stuff is strictly Andy's department). Then I realized, "Oh shit, I'm in Greensboro." The guy running the thing invited me to come back next week. I don't know about that. We'll see.


Speaking of the Golden State Warriors, I watched all of their game last night in Utah, and they didn't play defense 80% of the time. It was something to watch. I mean Don Nelson's boys made no attempt to stop the Jazz from getting whatever open look they wanted. At least they used to try and guard the perimeter a bit, and had some inside defensive presence. Those days are gone - the halcyon days of 2007.


I mentioned the 3 drunk kids to my right playing trivia last night. One of the 90s music questions was: What supermodel appeared in 2 G'N'R videos? The girl of the threesome says to me, "Stephanie Seymour?" I said, "It's sure as hell not Richard Seymour." She didn't laugh.


Geilfuss, in his latest blog post, mentioned that he'd been driving a yellow VW Beetle (a rental, his truck was T-Boned by a Methuselah aged broad). Well, he was driving the thing 2 weeks ago when I was up in the town Elaine Benes is from. At one point Geilfuss and Ross went for a spin in the yellow Beetle together. And I meant to get a picture and post it on this blog - because they looked like a very happy young gay couple in the car together. Alas, I didn't get around to it. It's funny, because I did put a picture up on this blog that same day - a picture taken at Get Bent Lounge. And the 1st thing I said to Geilfuss after I posted it was, "You look a little effeminate there Geilfuss (he really did - legs crossed demurely, hair mussed just so)." Andy readily agreed with my assessment. Geilfuss said, "Damn. Fuck you guys! I was thinking the same thing. You didn't have to point it out." Andy said, quite correctly I might add, "Oh yes we did." As for Ross, he seemed amazed at the time by my poor typing skills. And he's right. I'm awful. Slow. Super slow. And constantly backspacing. At one point Ross asked, "How fucking long does it fucking take you to fucking write a fucking blog post?" The truth is it takes forever. I can't type. At all. I'm worse than the worst hunt-and-pecker out there. Way worse. And as far as the quote above from Ross on the matter - I may have left out a couple of "fuckings." More swear words come out of the kid's mouth than not in most sentences. It's true.


I was playing The Knowledge the other night at the wing joint on Battleground (or more accurately giving answers to a couple playing The Knowledge, the guy you may remember me mentioning a few weeks ago- he was wearing the Borque jersey during the Gold Medal hockey game). This question came up that reminded me of my favorite homonym - fungi & fun guy. On the several occasions I pointed this out to various English instructors over the years, they didn't seem too appreciative of my having noticed the homonym-esque nature of the situation. The same instructors also never seemed to see the humor in the pairing of blackmail & black male...


I was talking to a relatively new reader of this blog the other day, and he said (referring to this very blog), "It's pretty self-indulgent, don't you think?" I said, "No one's making you read the thing." He quickly said, "I'm not saying I don't like it. Don't get me wrong." I thought for a moment and said, "I'm not sure how writing can't be self-indulgent, if you think about it." And I think I'm right about that. Not that I'm a writer exactly. I'm not. I don't claim to be. John Updike is a writer. And I'm no John Updike, not even in the same universe. Obviously.


See, I don't give a fuck, that's the problem
I see a motherfuckin' cop, I don't dodge him


No comments: