Friday, August 13, 2010

Q Steps In To Serve


Last night, we picked up right where we left off from Feb 3 (NOLA & Under) with that team from Oakland. I wrote last August about the factors to consider when looking at betting opportunities in NFL Exhibitions. And I won't bore anyone with repeating those factors. The Raiders were in a good spot to win last night's game outright (Dallas had just played Sunday and had numerous injury issues, while Oakland wanted to make a "statement" and I figured they'd try like hell to win the pointless game). Tonight there are 2 more spots where I like a team to win by 7 or more. Take Washington, for one, Mike Shanahan had a sterling exhibition record with Denver, for 2, it's his 1st home game and he'll want to make an impression, and 3, Chan Gailey never cared a bit about exhibition games when he was coaching the Dallas Cowboys. Also, one of my favorite teams to bet on in preseason is Jacksonville. Jack Del Rio takes the games more seriously than almost any coach in the NFL. And Andy Reid plays most exhibitions as he should - get everyone off the field healthy and go get yourself a cheese steak. Tomorrow I like the Dolphins, Tony Sporano also takes exhibitions seriously. I'll also look into the Rams & Seahawks (Rams are in a good spot to actually try and win against the Vikes, & it's Pete Carroll's 1st home game in Seattle). Sunday, take the Niners against the Colts. The only thing I don't like about that game is the start time. But I do know Mike Singletary hates to lose & Jim Caldwell knows what Tony Dungy knows, these games are pointless.


I've been getting quite a bit of feedback about this stupid blog by a number of the folks who ply their drinking trade at the Wing Joint on Battleground on a somewhat regular basis. And some of it has been a bit over the top in praise. But I appreciate that you all are reading and seem generally amused. As I've said before, the only audience I write for is myself. Whatever pops out on a given day just does. I did get an interesting question about the setting for my blog. And, as many of you know, there are basically 2 settings where stuff happens (although not much ever really happens in my life, at least of importance). One setting is various bars around the country I stumble into from time to time. The other setting is my head. And that's a dangerous place. Believe me. You don't wanna have the thoughts wandering through your mind that constantly wander through mine. I wouldn't wish that on almost anyone.


Speaking of bars, I was out the other night with Dave (the Glenn Beck fan), and Q. And we were bouncing from bar to bar getting hammered. Nothing unusual there. But at one point we were in the Wing Joint on Battleground and a group of 4 sisters were sitting at a table for like 5 minutes without a server going up to them (which is not unusual at the Wing Joint, as I've said time and time again, those server girls in that joint are all one shot of Cuervo from getting knocked up & they generally do a shitty job). So, Q noticed these sisters waiting for a server to greet them and he goes over there himself and takes some menus and starts talking to them. Did I mention we were hammered? Because we were hammered. So, as part of Q's drunken flirtatious nature, he orders the 4 sisters a round of shots. No big deal. Well, a server finally comes over to the table and Q walks away after a bit. He comes over to the bar and we have another shot of Patron or whatever (I never know exactly what they're shoving at me to drink at any given moment.). And then the server who finally came over to the table of 4, after 7 or 8 minutes, hands Q a check for the round of drinks he ordered for the table of sisters. Dave and I started laughing uncontrollably. The poor girl. I'm not sure what her name is, nor does it matter. But her stupidity was breathtaking nonetheless.


Speaking of breathtaking stupidity, I was out another night with Dave, Chet, Goose, and 2 servers from some bar on New Garden. We were at Ass Traps, out on the patio. Anyway, Goose and the 2 server chicks go to play a pointless game of Cornhole (which I've mocked on this blog before). So, Chet and Dave decided to ask trivia questions of each other. What was funny about that was that they'd ask each other questions that they weren't sure of the answers to. Luckily I was there, because I can answer some trivia questions. At one point Chet asked Dave what year did the Allies invade Normandy? Now, they both took guesses at this not super difficult trivia question. And I gotta hand it to Dave (the Glenn Beck follower), he was closest to correct. When I said June 6, 1944 was the exact date, Dave was relieved he was closer to correct than Chet (I think a shot was on the line). Chet, fearing I was lying to help my buddy, checked the Internet from his phone for the exact date. And when the world wide web of deceit confirmed my answer, Chet said, "Oh, you were right. Asshole." I felt like I was sitting at Get Bent Lounge listening to J and George argue about some inane sports trivia question. I was having flashbacks. Not good flashbacks either. As for Goose and the server chicks, I never did inquire who won the Cornhole contest. Who cares?


Speaking of Dave, he was going on about the A-Team again the other night. He's got some bootleg DVD copy of it and he's watched it a number of times. I just kept saying, "I pity the fool."


Gotta run, the golf is coming on at 1.

No comments: