Saturday, August 21, 2010

Untitled Post For 8/21/10 - I Can't Come Up With One


Big Saturday in the irrelevant world of NFL exhibition silliness. And as I noted last week, I'm gonna try and do a much better job of getting my thoughts on the games up this year (my whole life revolves around this stuff from August to early February). If you saw Wednesday's post, I suggested that based on the situation a bet on the Bills was in order for Thursday's game in Toronto. And it went about like I thought. The Bills played as all out as you can in exhibition football. Even though they gave up 21 1st half points, the Bills still won 34-21 and easily covered the 3&1/2. That puts us at 6-2-1 for this pointless exhibition season thus far (and 75% winners will make everyone happy, and a few bucks as well). Getting to tonight's action. There is a game out in Denver that I like about as much as I can like an exhibition game. The Broncos are hosting the Lions and are just 3 point favorites as I write this. I love the Broncos to win going away for a number of reasons. 1st, even if Tebow does not play (and I wouldn't count on it, as the kid got his ribs hurt last week), Kyle Orton and even Brady Quinn will dice the Lions as I have a suspicion that Josh McDaniels wants to put on a show for the home crowd. 2nd, from everything I'm reading, Jim Schwartz is concentrating on special teams tonight. Expect a very vanilla scheme on both sides of the ball for Detroit. The other thing to consider is that Denver gave up 33 points last week to the Bengals and I expect for them to blitz and go overboard defensively to create some turnover opportunities. Lay the points with the hosts. And if by some unexpected twist Tebow gets in there, Denver might win by 3 touchdowns, as the kid's insane and will want to make an impression. I also like the Browns tonight against the Rams. Mangini will want to put a phony good impression out there to appease the home crowd. Expect Cleveland to cover the 3&1/2. A bet on the Bears is also in order. It looks like Jay Cutler is gonna get extensive snaps to work on the new schemes Mike Martz has installed. That and the Raiders won on the road last week - so I don't expect a great effort from them under these circumstances. Also, I would not be surprised to see Washington go all out to win again this week. Take them as well. It could be a shootout in the awful traffic hassle that is FedEx Field. I've looked at the other 7 games and am passing. One of the other games features the Steelers and Giants. And that game is notable for one thing - the line. Pittsburgh is a 6 point road favorite. That is unheard of in exhibition football. While it's true that Eli isn't gonna play for the G Men and that sicko Roethlisberger is gonna play at some point for Pittsburgh, I don't see how those facts warrant all this money pouring in on a road team. I'm not touching it.


Ross, Geilfuss, and the Jacobys are in Chicage this weekend on a road trip. They've been planning it for months. They went to Wrigley for the Cubs/Braves game yesterday I believe. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it. And I'm guessing work precluded Andy from going. Anyway, I've been getting some updates on the trip from Geilfuss. And it appears that Thursday night Ross was in such a state of complete inebriation (shocking!) that he manged to get seperated from the other 3 guys on the subway coming back from some bar in Wrigleyville. I was worried about the kid Friday morning so I texted Geilfuss to be sure Ross was okay. And Geilfuss informed me that Ross did make it back to the hotel and was sleeping soundly inside a pillow case. And I texted this back to Geilfuss when I got word - Sounds about right.


All right, one last gambling note. If I don't get a post up tomorrow (and I might not), take the 49ers against the Vikes. It's another case of Mike Singletary hating to lose and getting fake revenge for that devastating last play loss to Minnesota last season.


I was talking to a steadfast reader of this blog the other day. And he mentioned that he enjoyed the picture I put up of Andie McDowell. Then we started talking about a few of her films. Well, inevitably St Elmo's Fire came up. And it is cheesy and unrealistic and mostly an insult to Georgetown and everyone who came of age in the 80's, but, as I told the steadfast reader of this blog, I still like it. What can you do???
----->




No comments: