Friday, March 25, 2011

Nolan Smith Walks Into The Honda Center...


I hate to revel in others' misery, but I'm going to anyway...


Urgent Score Update from Anaheim, California - the home of Mickey Mouse, Emilio Estevez hockey films, and various meth labs: Arizona 93 Duke 77. We have a new hero. Jimmer is dead (at least until he is inevitably drafted to the purgatory that is the Minnesota Timberwolves). Derrick Fucking Williams. The kid was all-world last night. Duke had no athlete on their roster capable of checking Williams. When the Wildcats started their run (and everyone but the most die-hard Dukie could see it coming), it was breathtaking in its finality. The game was over with 11 minutes left. Coach K kept shoving the Vicodin down his throat to ease the anguish. And all he got was more anguish (although a dulled anguish, which is something I guess). Nolan Smith, the ACC player of the year (you can snicker now), did his best JJ Redick impersonation in big NCAA tourney games. Smith was terrible - 3 for 14 with at least 6 turnovers. And he could not stop penetration by any Wildcat he was defending. 2010 is finally, officially, over. If only Gordon Hayward had made that damn jumper for Butler at the end last April...


I'm sure I'm not the only person who has noticed that, speaking of Butler, the Bulldogs have lasted longer than the vaunted Devils this year. They play with a tenacity that is unparalleled in college hoops. In stark contrast to Duke, who has better players at every position except center, Butler is tough as nails. Duke is soft. They cried like Adam Morrison at the end. Going back to Jimmer, did you notice when he walked off the floor that his head was held high? No shame. No regrets. He just kept gunning the ball up. We will see NBA games in the future where Kyrie Irving and Jimmer go head to head (although if it's a Cavs/TWolves game, no one will be watching...). It should be entertaining. I don't think either one can stop the other. Jimmer doesn't like defense. Irving is a poor man's CP3. And points will be aplenty.


I had the delightful experience of seeing a photo of The Tiger's latest skank. And I'm proud to say she's a fellow Ohioan. A 22 year-old Clevelander to be exact. And this chick, I believe her name is Alyse, can drink. She could be a Dream Teamer. Alyse managed to blow a .210 last fall after crashing stepdaddy's car. I'm sure Alyse and The Tiger will get along famously. Until she comes after him with a pitching wedge anyway...


Speaking of The Tiger, I was chatting with Warren (Woof to all you Buzztime trivia freaks out there) last night about that Perkins waitress he was doing a few years ago. And we decided that The Tiger's behavior had definite sociopathic underpinnings. I should know...


The vagaries of gambling have shown themselves again here lately. I got a note from Brandon that his winnings had dwindled to a dangerous level after the weekend. And he turned it around with one bet last night. He took Arizona money line. And that bet would turn $100 into $450 fast. I did not take the Cats on the money line. But I did have them +8 &1/2 - which saved my ass after Jimmer and the Mormons blew their game in OT. I was screaming for anyone to score at the end of regulation. Warren and other assorted barflies could attest to that.


Tonight I like FSU/VCU Under 131. The Noles were very kind on the Under bet Sunday against the Irish. Richmond +10&1/2 - I won't be touching the money line however. Marquette/UNC Over 150 &1/2, push, push, push the tempo. And TOSU -6. The Buckeyes are playing the best I have seen in my 30+ years of paying close attention to them. Maybe too close attention. Here's how die-hard a fan I am. Back in the mid-90s, when TOSU was terrible (the last few years of the Randy Ayers era), I faithfully went to almost every home game at St John Arena. I had good seats at least. Nobody in the entire city of Columbus gave a damn. I remember non-conference games with less than 5,000 folks in attendance. Seriously. The only sellouts were when Bobby Knight came to town. And let me say this, I have never heard a person booed more lustily anywhere than Bobby Knight was in St John Arena. Never. And he, like yours truly, is a graduate of TOSU.






1 comment:

tess and alex said...

Check out Meet Bill on Hulu. That dude looks just like you.