Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Bluegrass


I was checking the Faceshit yesterday and saw that I had a message. And it was from an occasional reader of this blog who I haven't seen in quite some time (2007?). Anyway, she noted something pretty interesting, and dare I say accurate, about yours truly at one point in her note. It was this: You are weird, _____. And I gotta say, I wrote her back and told her she was right on about that. No question, I am weird. I think she enjoys the blog though. She's a smart girl, with a vicious sense of humor. If anyone would enjoy it, it would be Frances.


I saw a picture of the Wildcats of Lexington basketball team that was used as an official team photo for some publication. Anyway, they managed to spell the state they represent as follows across the front of the jerseys: Kentcuky. Now, I've spent some time in the Bluegrass State. And I used to work with a guy way back in the early to mid 90s named Bart Pierce, who happened to be from way out in the sticks or back in the hollers or wherever in NW Kentucky. Bart was always promising to get me moonshine (alas, he never did come through). This guy was as country as you can get. His favorite rocker was Ozzy. Every time I'd walk past Bart while working, I'd yell "Ozzy Rules!" Bart would yell back "Ozzy Rules!" That was about the extent of the depth of our conversations. And even this backwoods, moonshine promising, Ozzy disciple could at least spell the name of the Commonwealth he hailed from correctly. But apparently Coach Cal can't. Of course, when you're constantly getting into trouble with breaking NCAA rules and trying to sneak around like a snake and steal recruits from other coaches (Calipari has made a career out of that stuff), I guess spelling the name of the state you represent correctly can fall through the cracks. I mean, you gotta figure most of his players can spell the shortened "UK" aspect of the school and state they represent. That's only 2 letters. But, getting them to understand how to properly spell the state they represent in its entirety right is evidently asking too much of them. Way too much. The kids who are balling for the Wildcats this year probably honestly believe they play for something called Kentcuky. If they didn't, why did they sit there and pose for the team photo as if nothing was awry? It makes you wonder... And yes, I'm still bitter over the NCAA Title game in 2008 - brutal. Brutal. Brutal. Coach Cal, he's great at cheating and having someone take the SAT for Derrick Rose, I give him that. But, he can't teach his guys to shoot damn free throws to ice a big game. I've never felt so sick in my life...


I wonder if Ashley Judd knows how to spell Kentucky, or is it Kentcuky (even I'm starting to get confused)? It's okay if she can't though. Her sister is as nasty as sin, but Ashley - there you go. Heat - she looked hot in Heat (which makes sense when you think about it, what with the movie being called Heat and all...).


Of course, across the Bluegrass state a bit is Coach Pitino. And I don't have any real issue with Pitino (other than that white suit he wears from time to time). But, I thoroughly enjoyed when he went to the Celtics. That was awesome. Pitino fell flat on his face (as did Calipari with the Nets - I guess Calipari can only win when he can do things like hook Marcus Camby up with bling...). The funny thing is that I like the Bluegrass. When you can get around civilization in the state, it's pretty cool. Believe it or not, Lexington is actually lots of fun. If I could have ever run into Ashley Judd there, well..., come to think of it, that would have had incident written all over it. Probably just as well I didn't.


Speaking of UK hoops, you can't rally think about it without recalling that classless piece of shit, Christian Laettner, stomping on that brother's chest in the Regional Final in Philly. I'll just say this about the whole incident: if it had occurred the other way around, if the brother playing for UK had stomped on Laettner's chest in that kind of premeditated and vicious manner, he would have been tossed from the game in a heartbeat. But that was a long time ago. And Laettner was a joke in the NBA. And Duke hasn't won a meaningful game since 2001. And UK got them back in 98 in another Regional Final. So, that's something I guess.


Speaking of Duke, and their teams of the early 90's, it reminds me of my favorite Dukie ever. And that of course, is my man Billy McCaffrey. He's the only guy with enough common sense and a mind of his own to have not bought into Coach Kry's crap. He got out after the 91 title game (if I recall, he rained 3's on Roy Williams' Jayhawks that night). Very smart move. McCaffrey transferred to Vandy. And, ironically in light of the thrust of this post, he went on to share SEC Player of the Year honors in 1993 with, you guessed it, the Monster Mash from UK. Weird, huh???


Speaking of Vandy, the folks in their admissions office had the great wisdom to wait-list me when I applied there. You can't blame them...


That seems like enough for today. If any readers here in Greensboro want to get together for a beer, just let me know. I know I'm gonna get with Brandon here tomorrow sometime. The kid owes me a few bucks...


Fuckin with me cause I'm a teenager
With a little bit of gold and a pager

















No comments: