Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Man Brobee


Huge news out of the crazy world of air travel - literally huge news. It seems the good folks at SW Airlines kicked Kevin Smith off a flight recently for taking up too much room. Now, I have written a number of times on this blog about my experiences in airports and on airplanes. And the whole air travel deal is just tedious. Terrible and tedious. A couple things I wonder about this Kevin Smith getting kicked off a SW flight are 1) why is Smith flying on SW airlines in the 1st place? You'd think a successful movie director would be on an airline that actually offered 1st class seating. 2) I, believe it or not, have often felt pretty bad for the plight of obese fliers on most domestic carriers. They can't be comfortable. And they gotta feel like garbage for making the folks sitting next to them uncomfortable. The best solution to this problem is for real heavy people to go ahead and buy 2 seats, but I realize that can get pretty pricey. The other solutions are less practical, as they involve enforcing a weight limit on air passengers holding a ticket for 1 seat in coach. That's not a pleasant thought though, as watching everyone get on a scale before boarding a plane would be a spectacle no one would feel good about participating in (from the heavy passengers themselves, to the airline employees who would have to monitor the scale, to the innocent bystanders trying to desperately look away as such a process was undertaken). I have had a number of experiences sitting squeezed into a seat in coach (especially on regional carriers like ComAir) next to a heavier person. And it's just an impossibly bad predicament for everyone involved. The only thing worse are the screaming babies, as that situation makes me suicidal. I have experienced being packed into a small seat on a regional jet, next to a really big person, with a screaming baby in a nearby aisle, in the middle of summer. And that's not a good time. Believe me.


I got a chance to look in on some of the college hoops action over the weekend. And some things to keep in mind 1) TOSU looks good, really good. I haven't been as impressed with a player from TOSU as much as I am with Evan Turner, since Jimmy Jackson - and yes, that includes my man Michael Redd. 2) The ACC - not impressive this year at all. Watching the UNC/Duke game last week was painful, it reminded me of a Patriot League tilt. 3) The Pac 10 - does not have 1 good team. 4) Kansas is the team to beat for the title. 5) UNLV - totally puzzling. 6) New Mexico - don't be surprised if they make a run to the final 4. 7) The Big East - I like Villanova and Syracuse a lot, but with the other teams, I see some major flaws. 8) And finally, our favorite swearing and sweating machine, my man Gary Williams - the Terps look pretty strong some nights. But, when they face a bigger team who can dominate them physically (hell, Zoubek had his way with the Terps the other day), they're gonna be in deep trouble in the tournament. Brandon and I are working on scoring some tickets for the ACC Tournament here at the Coliseum (well, Brandon is, he's got clients with connections. Me, I meet random fans in bars...), which is always a good time if you can sit near enough to the Terps bench to listen to Gary's stream of consciousness swearing. And back when Billy Hahn was Gary's top assistant - listening to those 2 swear back and forth to one another about every 1/2 second during an entire game - awesome. Possibly the most entertaining thing in the history of the known universe.


It looks like the Brett Favre watch is already in full effect among the morons in the sports media. Wake me up in mid-August and let me know if he's reporting to Vikes camp. I don't have any interest in daily updates on this - it's truly nauseating.


Interesting news from our friend Joe Biden. For some baffling reason Joe has decided to get in a war of words and ideas with my man Dick Cheney. Joe's not gonna win that fight. Anytime Joe responds to Cheney's criticisms, he looks even dumber, more poorly informed, and most importantly more wrong than the last time he decided to respond to Cheney. Say what you will about Cheney, as he is maybe the least popular person in this country (I saw a poll at one point that put his popularity on par with Bin Laden). But, he's an adult - he tells it like he sees it. Joe Biden should stick to criticizing someone more of his intellectual equal - like Dexter Manley, JWoww, or my main main man Brobee from Yo Gabba Gabba (on 2nd thought, that is unnecessarily cruel - to Brobee - Sorry Brobee - you are awesome). Oh yeah, and Biden should also get some ice to aid in de-stiffening his medically aided massively erect boner before appearing on the stupid Sunday Morning talking head shows (or just get with JWoww before going on air, either way...).


Speaking of Yo Gabba Gabba, they aired an episode over the weekend where they sang a song called: Don't Bite Your Friends. And I get the message to the 3-5 year old set there. I really do. But, I also think there are situations where you might find yourself being urged to bite a "friend." Some girls do get freaky that way. I'm not saying we need to introduce the idea of mutual S&M to toddlers or preschoolers, but at some point we need to be honest with them about the way some babes like to get freaky- just something to think about.


Some of you might be wondering why I watch the Noggin network (although those of you who know me pretty well are not the least bit surprised). I like Yo Gabba Gabba because it is one of the most entertaining things to ever be conceived by mankind. The shows I currently watch on a semi-regular basis are these: Mathis, Springer, Yo Gabba Gabba, Robot Chicken, Celebrity Rehab, Hoarders, Pawn Stars, 30 Rock, and The Office. And hoops. Lots of hoops.


Speaking of The Office, last week's episode was one of the best in a long time. And I'm a little pissed at NBC for taking it off for 2 weeks for figure skating. Because figure skating is one of the most pointless and silly competitions imaginable. Why anyone watches it is beyond me. I'd rather watch bowling, or NASCAR, or even Glenn Beck. Anything else, except for ladies basketball of course. That's the only thing I can think of that's more boring than figure skating. Yikes!


Do I date you
Do I hate you


I'm out - TBFH








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about tall people? I've never been comfortable on a flight. And it's not like my height hurts anyone around me. Shouldn't I get a reduced fare ticket for being less comfortable than everyone else on the flight?

Hell, my shoulders sit ABOVE the headrest... so how exactly is that going to do its job and prevent me from breaking my neck or getting whiplash when the plane goes down??