Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Keeping Expectations Low


The only bad thing about life is that it never works out the way you want it to. Other than that...


I got an email from an occasional reader of this blog recently, and I'm not gonna divulge specifics of what it said or what I said in reply (that would be super uncool). But the exchange did get me to thinking (which is never good...). Anyway, I was trying (in vain, no doubt) to offer some kind of encouragement in the email I sent back to the occasional reader of this blog. And I'm really bad at that. I'm afraid what I had to say did no good at all. At one point I went into the whole idea of folks trying to accept the idea that there seems to be little point to any of this. But if you accept that premise, then what is the point in caring about anyone or anything? I certainly don't have the answers. It depresses me beyond words though to hear someone who is genuinely bright, intellectually curious, has a sharp sense of humor, likes the right music, and is a real catch for that matter, be so down and lost. I don't even know. I really don't.


If you don't like the song Commercial Reign by Inspiral Carpets, then I can't help you. I don't even know where to start.


I probably shouldn't post any of this mindless, angst riddled, adolescent stupidity. But most days, it's all I got.


It's almost always better not to really get to know someone too well. Because as long as you don't, you can project on them almost anything that you're looking for in a friend, co-worker, significant other, spouse, person to admire, whatever. It's when you get to know somebody better that you're almost always let down. They never live up to whatever traits you've conjured up in your head for them. And it's important to remember that it's not that person's fault that you've built them up in your mind to be something that is impossible to live up to. It's one reason I think it's important to keep all expectations low. For anyone or anything. If you do that, you can't be too disappointed.


It's like the motto of my old prep school: Expect The Best. That's a nice thought - in theory. A much more Hobbesian way of approaching life is: Don't Expect Anything - You Won't Be Let Down.


This is utterly stupid...Sorry.


I'm out - I'll try and lighten up next time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

expectations are preconceived disappointments

Anonymous said...

Alvin Robertson keeps his expectations low

Anonymous said...

to the Hobbes theory:

Ignorance is a virtue...

Patience is bliss...

So...if you go through life stupid & waiting for everything...then it should be alright!!!