Friday, March 5, 2010

I Love It When A Plan Comes Together


When sitting around Generic Bread with your butch dyke looking wedding planner, I would plead with you not to go on and on about how in love you are with a guy you describe as "sweet." It's really off putting. "He's such a sweetheart." Sweetheart my ass - he's a guy who is so desperate that he'd agree to marry a broad with wider shoulders than Atlas, and a huge, no doubt ever expanding ass. The only way I'd remotely give this soon-to-be groom a pass is if 1)he's in the state pen or 2) he has a fetish for chicks with breeder hips.


Also, if you're gonna be one of these old timers who sit around Generic Bread killing time, I'd urge you to go ahead and try and do something about all the hairs shooting out of your ears. It's distracting, especially when a guy nearby is trying to concentrate on dealing with all the idiots on Full Tilt.


I made the mistake of failing to wear a jacket today. And it's way colder out than it should be. Standing outside smoking in this wind is a real bummer. It really is.


I was having a hard time sleeping last night and for some stupid reason my mind began to wander to NBC sitcoms in the early 80's. There was this one awful show called Love, Sidney that ran for maybe 2 seasons. It starred Tony Randall as a "confirmed bachelor" who took in a single mom and her daughter. Anyway, it was putrid. The crap that NBC used to put on before hitting it big starting in 1984 was really terrible. If you weren't alive to suffer through it, consider yourself lucky. Seriously. Also, that phrase "confirmed bachelor" is one of the more asinine euphemisms in the history of the English language. Call those dudes what they are - fastidious gay men.


I also thought about the NBC Tuesday lineup that aired there in the mid 80's. Some of you might recall A-Team at 8, Riptide at 9, and Remington Steele at 10. I will grudgingly admit to being an A-Team fan (remember I was like 13 or 14 at the time), I always enjoyed it when George Peppard said, "I love it when a plan comes together." Because the plan he was referring to always seemed to involve some improbable and implausible barrage of bullets flying for 4 or 5 minutes and no one getting hit. Or turning an old lawnmower into a tank. Or busting out of a house surrounded by Colonel Lynch and dozens of specialized Army personnel unscathed. Utterly silly. I watched the thing though. I feel much stupider for it, that's for sure. But as dumb as A-Team was, Riptide was worse. These loser P.I. types lived an a houseboat and had a nerdy friend who always said "That's boz." Watching that crap cost you brain cells by the second. But Remington Steele was actually pretty good. Pierce Brosnan was in the thing. And I always enjoyed Stephanie Zimbalist. And those rare episodes when her father showed up - those were always entertaining. If you've never seen the show, it's worth checking out.


I got a comment after yesterday's post from a regular reader of this blog wondering why I was so verbose when Duke loses and so utterly silent when they win. And this commenter is absolutely right there. If you wanna read how wonderful Duke is in all their glorious victories, then you're not gonna find it here. I only comment on them when they lose. Hopefully, there will be at least 1 more comment on them here in the next month. This commenter also labelled me a Terps fan. And for the record, that's not exactly accurate. I have no ties to College Park per se. But a number of friends of mine went to College Park (Vaeth and McGrain being 2). And I do have a soft spot for Gary Williams, as I used to sneak into practice at old St John Arena from time to time when I was in high school and listen to him curse poor Curtis Wilson into oblivion. That and the fact Gary was coaching TOSU when they knocked off Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament. My man Dennis Hopson.


It's getting boring in here and the poker tournament has ended, at least for me. I did manage to cash though, as I finished 24th out of a field of 372 - too much work (almost 3 damn hours) to not quite double my buy in, but still...


I believe my throat hurts


I'm out - TBFH






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TBFH

do you know if the guard for tennessee is related to dennis hopson? what a baller back in the day!