Monday, June 21, 2010

A Frog Humiliates The Tiger


Is it me, or do the folks over at the MSNBC seems to have far more contempt for Bonus Penetration executives than they do for Al Qaeda? Bizarre. Very telling though.


Well, another wild US Open has come and gone. And there has been lots of hand wringing over the result. The argument basically is thus: if The Tiger doesn't win, then the course must be unfair because there's no way a guy like Graeme McDowell could legitimately end 4 rounds of golf 3 strokes better than His Majesty. I realize that casual golf watchers have no idea who McDowell is. But, he's no joke. The guy was good enough to play on the European Ryder Cup side. I wasn't too surprised the guy won. If you don't like the result of the tournament, fine. But don't cheapen McDowell's accomplishment by badmouthing the course or the set-up of the course. All the fellas were playing in the same conditions, right?


The really bad news for supporters of The Tiger is not how he played over the weekend. I was impressed for the most part. He's still the most talented player out there. No, the really bad news is that guys are no longer intimidated by The Tiger. The French dude playing with The Tiger, a cat named Havret, who is ranked just inside 400th in the world, totally outclassed The Tiger in the final round of a major. I think Y.E. Yang opened the door for everyone to not be scared shitless any longer when partnered with The Tiger when Yang won the PGA last August. And this French fellow is just the latest guy to prove my point. The mystique is fading for The Tiger. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see The Tiger right back in the winner's circle next month at St. Andrews.


I was watching the final round up at the Wing Joint on Battleground. And sure enough, everyone in the joint except me was rooting hard for The Tiger (to be fair, there were only like 6 guys paying any attention to it). And I enjoyed having The Tiger fans around, because I was mocking him mercilessly. I kept screaming "He really wants to ram it in the hole!" And "His grip is awfully tight around the shaft right now." And "He keeps thinking about the half a billion he's gonna have to pay Jesper Parnevik's nanny." It was a pleasant way to pass a Sunday evening. Dave, the #1 bartender in Greensboro, and the #1 fan of Glenn Beck on the planet, was laughing his ass off most of the night. I'm entertaining if nothing else.


Yesterday was some fake holiday called Father's Day. Anyway, I was asked by this woman if I was enjoying the day (this was at around 4 in the afternoon). And I said, "It's okay, I guess. Why?" And this broad said, "Do you have any kids?" And I was immediately reminded of what Andy always says when I am asked that question and he's nearby. Andy always says, "None that he knows of."


World Cup action is really heating up now. The matches the last several days were pretty exciting for the most part. And I will say that the New Zealand tie with Italy is one of the most shocking results I've ever seen. I enjoyed it. The only team in the world I despise more than the Italian National team is, you guessed it, the Duke Blue Devils. In fact here is my list of who I will root for in this World Cup:

1) USA

2) The Dutch

3) All teams from Africa, especially Ghana, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, & Cameroon

4) All South American teams except Argentina and Brazil

5) Spain

6) Portugal

7) Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and South Korea

8) France

9) Brazil

10) Honduras

11) England

12) The rest of Europe except Germany and Italy

13) Argentina

14) Germany

15) Mexico

16) North Korea

17) Italy


There you are, I would pull for the evil North Koreans over those whining, dirty tricksters from southern Europe. Despicable. Talented, but despicable.


All the hype movie-wise seems to be over something called Salt. Dave, Greensboro's top bartender and huge Glenn Beck supporter, has been talking about it non-stop recently. When I saw who's starring in the thing, I thought - well, that's something at least...




1 comment:

Dan said...

The Dutch? The Dutch? Siiiiigh. I like their orange shirts at least.