Friday, June 11, 2010

USC Gets Bushwhacked


It's not like me to lash out at someone when he's down. But Pete Carroll has made that impossible. Carroll is either a liar or delusional or incompetent. It has to be 1 of the 3. Because if you take what he's saying about the NCAA sanctions against USC (something I predicted on this blog some time ago, and I was right yet again), Carroll can't come across as anything but 1 of the 3. I suspect he's a liar, why did he suddenly bolt for the Seahawks now? He turned down NFL overtures for the last several years. Could it be because he knew how bad the infractions were and wanted to get out why the getting was good? Seems likely. Maybe Carroll is delusional (something I know a little about) and has convinced himself that all the cheating never really happened and that Reggie Bush and his family weren't living way beyond their means when Bush at USC. It's possible. The last option is incompetent. And that I don't see. Carroll is way too bright and good at what he does to have had no idea this cheating was going on. That's tough to swallow. More than just Carroll and his coaching legacy are affected by these findings and sanctions. Reggie Bush doesn't look any worse in my eyes, as I'd assumed he was taking improper benefits since the story 1st broke way back in 2006 or whenever. But others may now view Bush differently. I have no idea how to punish him. Some are saying take away his Heisman. But that's silly. Bush should have given his Heisman to Vince Young after that game in the Rose Bowl where Texas beat USC for the BCS Title. If Bush didn't surrender it then, I don't know why he should now. As for the ESPN hype machine that built up USC every Saturday on GameDay and then every SportsCenter throughout every week for the past 7 years - I mock you again. They should apologize for being dupes. But I bet they won't. ESPN never does. As far as the 2004 Title being "vacated," that's just stupid. As far as Tommy Tuberville wanting a re-vote from that 2004 season, get over it, move on, that smacks of sour grapes. And lastly, that moron Lane Kiffin. This whole debacle couldn't have fallen into a more appropriate lap. USC will recover at some point from these sanctions (probably not until 2013 at the earliest though) & all their bandwagon jumping fans across the country can pile back on then. Just remember Trojan fans, you jumped on a cheating bandwagon, no one made you - now take your mockery like men. The thing about it is, for me at least, I don't take any great pleasure from hearing all this. It's kind of sad if you think about it. Except for OJ, the fact he's lamenting these sanctions from behind bars is funny. Really funny. I do get a kick out of that thought. If the glove fits...
As far as The Corn People joining the Big 10, I don't get it. At all. Who needs them??? They haven't been relevant in football for over 10 years (back when Lawrence Phillips was bashing coeds' heads into mailboxes), have never been relevant in hoops, & have a population of almost nil. Stupid move by the Big 10. Stupid. The Corn wouldn't have been in my top 10 choices for expansion.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for being the first blogger to place some of the blame on the giant hype machine at ESPN. these USC guys were dirty for carrol's entire tenure and if ESPN had been half as diligent about finding out who was paying the Bush family's bills as they were about finding Erin Andrews' stalker, the story would have broken sooner. "men of troy" my ass!