Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Pointless List Of Songs I Like Immensely


I got a comment on this blog few weeks back concerning the post where I mocked, at some length, the Rolling Stone magazine article about the top 500 singles of all time. In the comment, the commenter asked what my suggestions would be as far as what I considered the top singles. And that's a really tough question. I can't really think of any way to rank songs that makes any sense. By its nature, such a list is entirely subjective and wholly dependant on the tastes of the person making up such a list. So, I've spent some time jotting down some songs the last week or so. Now, this is NOT a list of the best songs ever, per se. Instead, what I decided to do is just randomly list, not in any particular order, songs I really think a lot of, but songs that weren't ever big hit singles and are almost never heard on the radio. What follows is the best response I could come up with based on that comment left a few weeks ago. For those of you who have spent a considerable amount of time with me over the years, this list will be very familiar to you, as I've gone on and on about many of these songs, sometimes, admittedly, ad nauseam. I don't have any suggestions for what exactly to do with this list, other than if there is something below unfamiliar to anyone, give it a listen. Oh, also I think the following songs would all make a great addition to any IPod deal thingy. The only rule I held myself to was only 1 song per artist. If I didn't do that, I'd be reduced to saying something like - Listen to Murmur over and over...Here we go. Again, in no particular order ---

Oasis - Some Might Say

PIL - Seattle

Nirvana - On A Plain

Prince - The Pope

Replacements - Bastards Of Young

Paul Westerberg - World Class Fad

Smashing Pumpkins - Mayonnaise

U2 - One Tree Hill

Liz Phair - Fuck And Run

Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven

Sinead O'Connor - The Emperor's New Clothes

David Bowie - Queen Bitch

Police - So Lonely

Morrissey - Suedehead

XTC - Senses Working Overtime

Sundays - Here's Where The Story Ends

Crowded House - Locked Out

Matthew Sweet - Sick Of Myself

REM - Sitting Still

B-52's - Bushfire

Breeders - Cannonball

Tears For Fears - Goodnight Song

INXS - Listen Like Thieves

Inspiral Carpets - Commercial Reign

Blur - Girls And Boys

10,000 Maniacs - Hey Jack Kerouac

Go-Go's - Head Over Heels

Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne

Paul McCartney - My Brave Face

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

New Order - Regret

Nick Lowe - So It Goes

Psychedelic Furs - Highwire Days

The Jam - That's Entertainment

Talking Heads - Girlfriend Is Better (Live)

Cheap Trick - Surrender (Live)

Cracker - Teen Angst

Weezer - Hash Pipe

Smiths - Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before


A few bonus cover songs ---

Hindu Love Gods - Raspberry Beret

Lemonheads - Luka

Mr T Experience - Can't Get There From Here



Everybody loves to dance around my heat and fire--->




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damon, I'm ashamed of you. You failed to mention one of your favorite singles of all time.

Plain White T's- Hey There Delilah

Anonymous said...

a stellar list, TBFH. had you figured for an 80s/90s guy. only 2 questions? for your INXS selections, nothing from Shabooh Shabah(sp.?)? ever hear sinead o'conner's 'gospel oak' EP/ Worth a listen if you like her. good list