Monday, March 14, 2011

Coach K Teams Up With Tonya Harding


I heard something over the weekend about an earthquake and tsunami somewhere in Japan. I haven't seen any news reports on it personally. The way I heard about it was from some dude at this bar out on New Garden Sunday afternoon. I had never, to my recollection, met this guy before. He was kind of ranting, slightly incoherently, about the disaster. I was listening, more or less politely, when this barfly dropped this opinion on me, and I'm only slightly paraphrasing here, "Serves those Japs right for bombing Pearl Harbor." And even yours truly thought that was a little over the line. I said, "I'm going out to smoke. But by the way, that comment was really weird. In fact, I don't have a clue what to say to that."




Very good weekend on the silly gambling front. Michigan was money. I'm looking hard at this week's games. I'll try and get info up from time to time.




Nobody told me.




I finally got the chance to catch The Blind Side over the weekend. It was better than I thought it might be. Every time I thought it was on the verge of veering into melodrama, it pulled back. You really got the feeling that Sandy Bullock's character cared about Michael Oher, without the script or acting degenerating into stock sappy caricature. Sandy really was quite good in the thing. Normally those movies where the director and writer try to pull at your heartstrings are unwatchably bad. But the folks involved in The Blind Side pulled it off way better than most.




I saw a promo for a dancing reality show Sunday on ABC during the Gators/UK clash at the Georgia Dome. They were hyping the athlete participants up. Hines Ward is gonna be one of them. And of all the Steelers I think Ward is the most formidable contestant they could have invited. If they have a dance where the male violently uppercuts the woman, Ward will be awesome at it. I do wonder if they asked Genital Ben to participate. I would actually tune in if that were the case. Genital Ben could get hammered drunk and force his dance partner into the nearest bathroom. It would be must-see TV at that point. Or James Harrison could go on the show in drag. But then viewers would be confused into thinking that Harrison in drag was really Mrs. Barack Hussein Obama. And that might cause some kind of issue...




Speaking of reality TV, TRU TV - my favorite shitty channel, will be airing some hoops games here this week. How this happened exactly I'm not sure. But Friday at 3:10, TRU TV will show the Duke Blue Devils and Hampton Pirates (it might warrant a rare bet on the Devils, the most public of public teams). Coach K and TRU TV is a marriage made in heaven. I just hope that TRU gets that same crew to cover the game that does the commentary for that World's Worst show they run constantly. With Tonya Harding and Danny Bonaduce calling a Duke game against the MEAC, something epic in the annals of broadcasting would be achieved. In fact, I'm sure I'd die from laughing too hard...




I don't know how many readers of this blog are awake around 4 in the morning on a regular basis. But if you are, take a look at VH-1 Classic at that time. They run 120 Minutes then. Videos I haven't seen in like 20 years are shown. And when you can see a Jesus & Mary Chain video at 4:45 in the morning, that's a good thing.




Speaking of being awake in the dead of night, my insomnia is almost as bad as ever. I really need to get my hands on some Xanax...




In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You, you were talking about the end of the world












































2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had hoped you weren't going to make any bad japan jokes and i'm glad you didn't. see gilbert gottfried's tweets? got him fired from every job he has, including a kid's show and his AFLAC voiceover. he deserves every single body blow karma can throw at him.

That Brother from Hawaii said...

I didn't see them, but how can anyone, even the guy I met who was angry, drunk, and generally provincial make jokes about such a horrible catastrophe? Even to a stranger???