Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Some Thoughts On The Fab 5 Film



I watched a good deal of that Fab 5 film on the ESPN hype machine the other night. A couple of things about it are worth noting. First, they decided to take only the most cursory look back at the team. No one was on the thing to represent a view outside of folks who were either on the team, coached the team, or covered the team in the media. This could be because Jalen Rose was behind the production. It would have been more compelling to get interviews with other players (Grant Hill, Calbert Cheaney, Jimmy Jackson, Eric Montross) and coaches (Bobby Knight, Coach K, Lou Henson) who experienced competing against U of M in those days. Second, the star of the movie was MIA. Mayce Webber must have refused to cooperate with his old temmates for it. I can't really blame the kid, but the story was definitely lacking without Webber's retrospective thoughts. Next, the whole part about how tragic it was when U of M took down the banners that marked something won by the Fab Five. That part baffled me. The reason is that the Fab Five didn't win anything. In the 2 seasons where all 5 were together, the Wolverines did not win a Big 10 title (TOSU & IU did) or a national championship (as the film reminded everyone who may have somehow forgotten). So, what were the banners put up to commemorate in the 1st place? Also worth noting is Rose's accusation that Duke only takes black kids who are Uncle Toms for their squad. I don't know any of the Duke players personally. So, I have no opinion on the matter. But it is an interesting comment from one of ESPN's NBA analysts. I'm guessing Grant Hill might not have appreciated it too much. Even though they played at Michigan, I will freely admit to enjoying watching the Fab Five play those 2 seasons - and even the next one after Webber left for the pros. But I didn't need a shallow documentary to remind me of that. Very weird endeavor, even for ESPN.






One thing in particular I didn't need to see ever again that they showed in the film was Chris Jent missing that last second shot that would have sent TOSU to the Final 4 in 1992. It wasn't really Jent's fault. Jimmy Jackson, 2 time Big 10 Player of the Year & one of my all-time favorites, couldn't even get a shot up on the initial part of that last second play. Alas,...






NCAA play starts tonight. I like UNC Asheville -4. In the Not Invited Tournament, the lines are soft. I like Cleveland St -10, BC -5 &1/2, & St Mary's -11 &1/2. Bet these with caution though. I have no way of knowing how motivated these 3 favorites are for the NIT. But on paper, these lines are super soft. Below the NIT, there is the awesome CBI. In that meaningless garbage, take Hofstra +2 &1/2 - they are a better team and getting points (although again, I can't measure how motivated the Pride will be to travel to the sticks of Indiana tonight). In my very favorite of all tourneys, yes, some of you will recall this, the College Insiders, I love Marshall -7 to bury Ohio U. The Herd are vastly better. Also in College Insiders action, the Falcons of AF are playing North Dakota. And this is just how shitty the College Insiders tournament is, N Dakota is one of the 50 worst teams in Division 1 (Ken Pomeroy has them like 306th). Even at 14 &1/2, I took Air Force.






----->
























No comments: