Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Franchise Devasted...


In Friday's blog entry I mentioned that Geilfuss was headed down to the O's game in a homemade Wieters jersey. Well, I met up with Geilfuss shortly after that in front of Sliders. And he was rocking a shirt that he had designed and decorated himself. On the back it said Wieters, then the #15 below that, then below that he had written A New Hope. The A New Hope part was a reference to the Star Whores series. On the front of this t shirt was writing - writing like you see at the beginning of each Star Whores film. They all start by saying - A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...So, Geilfuss had a long description of the situation that led up to Wieters being A New Hope written in black marker on the front of his awesome homemade Wieters jersey. And as part of this description he used the phrase - A Franchise Devasted. Now, Geilfuss had been out staggering around between 3 bars for over an hour by the time I showed up at Sliders. He had been approached by a number of people who commented on how awesome his homemade Wieters jersey was (more on that later). And nobody noticed and pointed out to the kid that he had spelled devastated incorrectly - not until Andy and Mary showed up around 7:45 anyway (me, I was hanging out with the kid for almost an hour at that point, but was still waiting for another couple beers to set in before I even was going to contemplate reading the front of this homemade jersey). So, after the mistake was brought to his attention, Geilfuss said "Fuck you Andy. Until you showed up, nobody even noticed it was misspelled." And I asked "Did you notice it yourself Geilfuss?" And Geilfuss replied "No, but I know I spelled it right when I wrote it out on paper." And I said "How will I ever know that? And even if you did, how does that help you walking around tonight with it wrong?" Geilfuss said "You have a point there." Andy had difficulty holding back torrents of laughter. And Mary just shook her head and said "Oh dear. That's Geilfuss." And she was right. That's Geilfuss - leaving all of us totally devasted...





I mentioned that a number of folks approached Geilfuss outside Sliders and high-fived him because of his homemade jersey. Well, apparently some folks had pictures taken with Geilfuss in the homemade jersey as well. This happened before I showed up. But at one point, 2 girls barrel over to us and it turns out they had pics taken with Geilfuss about an hour before. And one of these girls was hammered (it was right after 7 at this point). And she was one of the ugliest human beings I've seen in quite some time. And she was a close talker. She and her friend were from Frederick. They invited me and Geilfuss to Frederick any time we want to go over to Frederick and see a Frederick Keys game for free and then hang out with them on Market Street in Frederick (this was after I asked them why anyone would ever go to Frederick in the first place and they swore to me that Market Street in Frederick is a happening area and I would love to hang out there). So after this offer was proffered, I asked this hideous girl from Frederick "Why the hell do they call the team the Keys?" She said "Because Francis Scott Key is from Frederick." Then I asked her this "Who the hell is Francis Scott Key?" She replied "He wrote the Star Spangled Banner." I said "Never heard of it. But come to think of it, I used to work with a guy named Francis Key. He's an older dude, kind of pale, who hums to himself a lot. Goes by Frankie. Frankie Key. Is that this guy you're talking about?" I looked over at Geilfuss and he was doing everything he could to keep from bursting out laughing. This poor hideous girl never did figure out I was mocking her. Geilfuss and I might take her up on the her offer and go over to Frederick, catch a Keys game, and then hang out on Market Street. The reason is that we are horrible people and I would enjoy mocking her for a whole evening. And her friend looked like an alien - she had the most alien looking head and eyes you'll ever see. So, I'm hoping if we go out to Frederick that Geilfuss will hook up with this alien looking girl. Why you ask? Answer - if there was ever one guy who absolutely deserved to do an alien, it is Geilfuss. And it's not even close. Not even close.



The game itself was fine. The O's won 7-2. They have still never lost when I am in attendance. Andy, Geilfuss, and I didn't stumble into the stadium until the 6th inning and the rest of the game maybe lasted an hour. But here's the thing, after the O's won the PA guy played some music, something like Celebration by Kool & The Gang, and Mary was having such a good time that she was dancing around herself. And I enjoyed seeing her having such a good time. Oh, and she was a pretty damn good dancer herself - it must run in the family.




No comments: